Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Nice to meet you.

There are times when I have experiences that are epic. I am more of an introvert with moments of feeling outgoing. I rarely engage in conversations with strangers. I have decided that I am going to pump this up a notch because I met Steve. Oh Steve.

My sister Ashlee, her 6 month old Brando, and I were on our way to Cuba, New Mexico for my fabulous friend's wedding. While at a pit stop in Flagstaff, Arizona I met Steve. Steve is employed at this particular gas station and is extremely friendly and helpful. Steve is what some of us may call an "over sharer." And I was NOT sad about it. After successfully disengaging myself from conversation with Steve, I switched places with the sister. I stayed out at the car with the baby, and she went to use the facilities and peruse the store. I made no mention of Steve. Ashlee was gone 5 minutes or so. I could tell by the look on her face as she walked towards me that she had also met Steve the talker. Ashlee walked to me and said, "Go ahead...ask me anything about Steve." I nodded my head.

As we complied our information a few things became very clear.
1. He thought we were a lesbian couple until the term "sister" was mentioned.
2. I was introduced to "Party Steve" where Ashlee was introduced to "Serious Steve"
3. We both fell a little bit in love with Steve the amusing gas station attendant.


The following is the combined list of things we now know about Steve:

  • Works at the Shell Station in Flagstaff, AZ.
  • 58 years old.
  • From Long Beach, CA.
  • Frequented Seal Beach Main Street, especially for the St. Patrick's Day celebration.
  • Lived a quarter of a mile away from Wilson High School.
  • Graduated from Wilson High School in 1971.
  • First visit to Flagstaff was in '71 and he was amazed by all the trees.
  • 40 year high school reunion is this summer.
  • Will not be attending the reunion because no one will be impressed that he is a gas station attendant. The "Soshys in high school will be the soshys now."
  • Steve likes shortbread cookies.
  • Son, age 14, has Cerebral Palsy. This was caused by the umbilical cord being wrapped around his neck.
  • Wife moved he and his son to Arizona.
  • Son has a G-tube and is in a wheelchair.
  • Son will be attending high school next year. Steve is very proud.
  • Son is on a regimen of fish oil. "You know, if there is a wives tale about it, there's a little truth."
  • Steve is a Jerry Brown Democrat
  • Can list the blue pockets in AZ and "the rest is red. They are all haters."
  • Won't consider himself from AZ because it is "full of haters." He considers himself a Californian.
  • Believes the Jerry Brown attack ad against Whitman was genius and won it for him.
  • Steve has trouble with his attention span and short term memory.
  • His excuse for his lacking memory is in his wallet. A medical marijuana card. He proved it.
  • Steve doesn't drink as much as he used to. Why would he with that card in hand?

This was all in less than 10 minutes, including our transition times. Delightful.


Taking pictures while driving = safe

Our one regret was not snapping a picture of our new friend, Steve.

PS I dare you to go onto my sister's Facebook fan page and "LIKE" her photography business. She is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment